- 1 Cup Yellow Pigeon Peas/Toor Dal (Yellow Split Lentils)
- 2 Tomatoes, grind coarsely or chop finely
- 1tsp Red Chilli Powder or hot Paprika
- 1 sprig of Curry Leaves
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp Mustard seeds
- 1tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1/4tsp Fenugreek powder
- Salt to taste
- 2tbsp Oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Wash Yellow Pigeon Peas/Toor dal thoroughly. Pressure cook it with 2cups water, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and 1tsp oil for 15minutes in low flame. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, dry red chillies, garlic flakes, curry leaves and saute for 2minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, red chilli powder or paprika, fenugreek powder, close the lid and cook for 20minutes or until tomatoes are well cooked.
- Once tomatoes become tender add cooked yellow pigeon peas/toor dal, mix well and cook for 10minutes in low flame stirring in between. (add remaining 1/2cup water if you want thin consistency)
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice and Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Pressure Cooker Version:
- Wash Yellow Pigeon Peas/Toor dal thoroughly and keep aside.Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds, dry red chillies, garlic flakes, curry leaves and saute for 2minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, yellow pigeon peas/toor dal, red chilli powder or paprika, fenugreek powder, 2cups water and pressure cook it for 15 to 20minutes(up to 2 whistles) in low flame or until dal is well cooked. Once done with cooking set aside. Do not open immediately, wait until pressure goes. It takes approximately 10 to 15minutes. Add salt, mix well, garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice and Ghee (Clarified Butter)